Saturday, January 9, 2010
Sunday Nom: Blueberry Waffles
My sister gave me a Cuisinart Belgium Waffle Maker for Christmas and I am in love! I makes four perfect HUGE waffles every time. I really love the alarm that lets you know when they are done*. I have been playing with waffle recipes for the last 2 weeks and this is the best so far.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup white sugar + 1tbsp
2 eggs (separated)
1 2/3 cups warm milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pint blueberries
As always I am using my Kitchen Aid mixer, but you can easily adapt for a hand mixer.
1. In a bowl combine flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking power. Set aside.
2. In mixer whip egg whites until soft peaks form. (if you are lucky enough to have two mixer bowls switch bowls, if not, scoop the fluffy egg whites into another bowl)
3. Mix egg yolks, milk, butter, vanilla, and 1/4 cup sugar.
4. Slowly add dry ingredients. Mix well.
5. Fold in egg whites.
6. Sprinkle remain sugar on blueberries, then fold them into batter.
7. Now you are ready to pour into your waffle iron. I don't actually measure how much per waffle.(you will find out how much is too much when it pours out the sides)
Serve with whatever topping you like. We used Smuckers Blueberry Syrup.
I usually double this recipe so we have left overs to throw in the toaster in the next day. Or for random family members who show up when they hear I am making waffles.
Don't like blueberries? Leave them out. This is an awesome waffle recipe on it's own.
*the love rant about the Waffle Iron was all my own, you know I am not cool enough to be paid to say anything.