Friday, June 12, 2009

Carrot Cake


This is the best Carrot Cake EVER! A word of warning, it is ssoooo not diet food. In fact, I am pretty sure I gained a pound making it!

Ingredients:

for cake
3 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice

for frosting:
1/2 cup butter room temp.
1 bar cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lb confectioners sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8x12 inch pan.
(I have tried this in just about every pan, I find it cooks best in thinner layers but just adjust cooking time for the size of pan, ie less time for thinner layers. for this size pan start check cake at the 30 min mark)

2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside. (honestly I usually just dump them in the kitchen aid mixer after step 2)

3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.

4. In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple and raisins.

5. Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well. (or as I mentioned above, dump into the mixer)

6. Pour into prepared 8x12 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F for about an 1 hour. Check with toothpick.

Let LEAST 2 hours, I find it tastes best if it cools overnight.

For frosting:

Beat butter and cream cheese til its creamed, add vanilla, then slowly add the powdered sugar. Beat for 4-5 minutes until well mixed and smooth.

6 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

I love carrot cake (never tried it til the hubs MADE me) but man those shredded carrots kill me. Two cups doesn't seem like much but I don't have a food processor thing so I sat there with one of those food file things (you see I have no idea what it is called) and went back and forth with a ton of carrots.

fidget said...

i have to agree, shredding the carrots is the main thing that keeps me from making carrot cake more often

mom2nji said...

I had to hand shred too. If I am not in a hurry I let the kids do it. For some odd reason they love it. But 2 cups only takes 3 or 4 mins to shred! Its sooo worth it this cake is GOOD.

Barb said...

YUM...my mouth is watering just looking at it!! Now I will have to make it

Andrea said...

I am so excited to make this.

KiwiLog said...

Hi! We really loved your post over at KiwiLog, and decided to feature it as part of our weekly mom blog round-up post. Keep doing what you're doing!