Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Hope This Makes Sense

It's been a while since I posted, school is once again a handful and every bit of brain power I have has been sapped.

Also I may be just a we bit addicted to picnik pro.

In one of my classes, Philosophy, last week we were asked to think of a philosophical problem and create a "wheel" to solve it (yeah I was confused too). Well, I thought about it all week and had a hard time coming up with one. Then it hit me, "Are we, as humans, judgmental by nature or is it a learned behavior?".

I would have never brought this up on my blog as my homework isn't that exciting normally, but then I saw this tonight and my heart stopped. The judgments of other people led this woman to take her own life.

I am not saying I am innocent in this realm, I find myself doing it all the time. Though, I try to have the tact to keep it to myself most of the time. What is it about mothers, in particular, that makes us so quick to judge each other? Is it insecurities? Habit? Ignorance? Or even worse, mean for the purpose of being mean?

I lost my marbles on twitter recently, after reading article number four zillion and one bashing mothers who have c-sections. I loved my c-sections, I am confident in my choices and the way my children were born. Mostly because I am getting older and don't really give a shit about other people's opinions these days. I am upset for all the new mothers who feel shaky and even regret the c-section they had, rather than empower them to embrace what happened, they are made to feel like failures. I really don't care how anyone gives birth, as long as it's reasonably safe for all involved. It's not my job to tell anyone how to bring their child into the world.

Oops sorry I went off on a little tangent there...

I have seen the power of this blogging community move mountains to help a friend who is ill or has lost a baby. It never ceases to amaze me, the love that flows from keyboards, how we hold each other up.

Most of the time.

When a local Florida mom lost her toddler last year, a portion of this community used that power to attack her.

I am not sad to say I missed the drama involved with that link I posted above. I am heartbroken that she was attacked in her time of grief and felt so hopeless, she took her own life.

I hope it's a reminder to us all to watch what we say to others. To support when can and keep quiet when we can't.

Now, I am not saying that if a child is being abused or neglected we should stay quiet. NOT at ALL. I will still call that out when I see it. I just feel like we need to find a way to be supportive, even if we have different opinions.

1 comment:

Sarah R said...

That is the saddest thing I've ever read. I think that's why I avoid most parenting, political and religious blogs. I'm simply not into the finger pointing and accusations (you know that, Jenni, you and I met in one. And we both left it when we both felt condemned.) Not only that, but I can seriously feel my BP going up when I read many of the posts. There are so many caring unfeeling people with a keyboard out there. I have to guard and protect my heart, my brain, my family from junk like that. It's why I haven't taken that plunge into twittering and I keep my kids names private on my blog.