Monday, May 4, 2009

I had the best intentions..

For Isaiah's birthday party, I really did. Homemade cake and frosting and homemade pizza. What the heck was I thinking? I can only stand for a few minutes at a time on my messed up leg (with crutches) as it is. I baked the cake at 1030pm on Saturday and it seemed like to come out pretty good, but when I tasted it the next morning it seemed a little too sour (from buttermilk). I figured it would be OK with good frosting.

Here is where things went wrong...

I ATTEMPTED to make butter cream frosting, but ended up with very sweet buttery scrambled eggs whites. I think I overheated the sugar and I guess it started to crystallize. After burning the heck out of my hand with boiling sugar trying to slowly pour it in, it scrambled the whipped egg whites. I thought it looked weird but didn't notice how bad until I stopped the mixer and the beater was full of fluffy scrambled eggs.

Crappy cake...check
scrambled eggs..er frosting...check

Wal- mart cake it is.

After rolling around Walmart in a scooter I was in no mood to come home a make pizza dough. I was actually close to crying. Pop pop came to the rescue with pickup from the yummy italian place in our neighborhood.

In the end Isaiah had a great party.

4 comments:

Sarah R said...

Remember when I broke my ankle in December and you yelled at me for making Christmas Eve dinner on crutches?
Quit trying to copy me. ;)

Lori said...

I think you sound like a great mom. Really, I do. I love your blog.

mom2nji said...

Thanks lori!!

Jennifer Ortiz said...

Aw, well you tried and that's what is important. I mess up food all the time. Sounds like it was a nice party in the end :)