I am reposting this for Thanksgiving! Since I just started making this cake this year, it will be the first Thanksgiving I serve it. I LOVE Thanksgiving. I need to get cracking on finalizing my menu!
This is the best Carrot Cake EVER! A word of warning, it is ssoooo not diet food. In fact, I am pretty sure I gained a pound making it!
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
1/2 cup butter room temp.
1 bar cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lb confectioners sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8x12 inch pan.
(I have tried this in just about every pan, I find it cooks best in thinner layers but just adjust cooking time for the size of pan, ie less time for thinner layers. for this size pan start check cake at the 30 min mark)
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside. (honestly I usually just dump them in the kitchen aid mixer after step 3)
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, and pineapple.
5. Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well. (or as I mentioned above, dump into the mixer)
6. Pour into prepared 8x12 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F for about an 1 hour. Check with toothpick.
Let it cool at LEAST 2 hours, I find it tastes best if it sits overnight.
Beat butter and cream cheese (best at room temp) til its creamed, add vanilla, then slowly add the powdered sugar. Beat for 4-5 minutes until well mixed and smooth.
Go check out the Thanksgiving Recipe fun at A Southern Fairytale! You can enter to win a $15 Coupon for a Butterball Turkey!
30 minutes ago